8 Ideas from Broadband World Forum Asia 2008
Jul 17, 2008
1- Shanghai Media Group is looking at 3-D TV. (A real Bandwidth hogger.) Others are working on it too, so it should be in most markets by 2017. – Ron Westfall, Current Analysis
2- Piracy of satellite signals can reach up to 50 percent in Asia.
3- Customers demand higher quality of service from Mobile TV than from Home TV. Home TV can play in the background, but Mobile TV has the viewers full attention.
4- Hong Kong residents have an average of 1.5 phones. (and 2.0 ears?)
5- Hong Kong has one of the highest broadband levels in the world, with 77 percent penetration. (Mainly 30-100 MB for a few hundred HK dollars)
6- Nearly one third of Hong Kong households use IPTV.
7- Aksh Optifibre in India is launching an IPTV service, I-Control, that is intended to mainly earn revenue through advertising.
8- Secret list for executing IPTV, by PCCW:
- Base it around a cheap set top box.
- Use the simplest technical solutions
- Offer customers choices and flexibility
- Quality must be better than cable
- Make it extremely easy to use
- Maintain a high responsiveness to customers
- Content provider relations are key. You need their trust, so make it entirely piracy proof.
- Build up In-House experts to develop new products and sustain a high quality of service.